Innerwear to Outerwear - The New Norm

Monday, May 14, 2018


Top - Forcast
Dress - Emerico (Ava Clothing)
Bag - Zaful
Boots and Socks - ASOS
Inspiration - Cinq a Sept Fall 2017 Ready-To-Wear

My mother always says, how sooner or later, fashion repeats itself. And in the large part this is certainly true (see flare jeans, chokers, etc). But what’s fascinated me in these past few years, is how subtly and over time, our perceptions of clothing can change. The connotations something carried in the 80s, 90s or even early 2000s, have shifted dramatically to how they are viewed now and this pattern has cropped up in quite a few trends of recent time.

Perhaps, the biggest example of this is the humble fishnet stocking. Long deemed strictly ‘hooker territory’ (for the lack of a better word), bringing fishnets into the mainstream was implausible. In the last two years though, they’ve shifted from being relegated to the big-screen in stereotypically promiscuous roles, to being worn with boots for a lunch date or making a peak-a-boo appearance through ripped boyfriend jeans for a casual event.

The same can hold true for clothing that was traditionally consigned to bedtime. I remember five or six years ago purchasing a grey, leopard print kaftan. I impulse bought it in a brave moment but it spent the rest of its life in my closet as every time I tried it on, it felt akin to a luxurious nightie. But spotting a slinky kaftan in a resort-wear shoot, or a satin camisole on the streets is the norm today. Bralets and corset tops are paired with jeans or pants in an extremely ordinary manner. Modest and provocative clothing are mingling and the result is dresses being paired with jackets, corset on sweaters, fishnet stocking under a midi skirt – its all part of the new wave. I mean there was a time when even revealing your ankle was considered provocative until it became the new norm.

I know some people certainly have a thing or two to say about clothes today looking like lingerie or sleepwear, but I think there’s a thing to be said about celebrating new ways of being ‘sexy’. It might be a stretch to relate this subtle shift to an outright rebellion looking to reclaim ‘provocative clothing’, but in many ways, this is subtle breakdown of the age-old ‘damned whores and god’s police dichotomy’. The boundaries of what’s sexy, demure or conservative are overlapping and I for one am glad to be around for a time where we can mould our clothes exactly how we want, and not how they should be. 





Links à la Mode, May 17th, 2018

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. wow I really like your outfit <3 u look amazing !! xx

    www.martko.pl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, I found it super inspiring! Love this trend too xx

    Chloe x
    www.softoctobernight.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is so pretty for spring. I love the floral print.
    http://sugarcoatedbears.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love this look, it's so Spring ;) and it looks stunning on you. xoxo Joana
    http://chiceveryweek.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the post was super cool
    kisses
    http://thepinkpineappleblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely read and I can totally relate to your points! I'm so thankful I get to live in this day and age where we can freely express the way we wish to dress. I also love how you paired these unexpected patterns together! Such a fresh look :)

    xx

    http://www.crystalchiffon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't think the bag would work with your outfit since the outfit already has tons of color on it but it works and I love it.

    aprilbasi.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post ! I love this bag !
    https://thefrenchiestblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this look! It would definitely be a step out of my comfort zone but I think you did it so stunningly!
    María Eugenia | www.thegirlonanisland.com
    https://www.thegirlonanisland.com/2018/05/the-guide-to-perfect-weekend-in-miami.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Couldn't agree more! I love how clothes for different occasions are finally being worn in different, unpredictable ways :)
    http://www.lambassadrice.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty print! You look amazing babe.

    Shang J. | Beauterazzi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, my grandmother used to say the old adage, "there's nothing new under the sun," this applies to fashion as well. Your dress looks marvellous, it has such lovely bold colours! I love a good fishnet these days, so glad times have changed. /Madison
    FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
  13. What can I say, these pictures are breathtaking.Your outfits are lovely! When I saw this, I thought that you might like these women's outerwear

    ReplyDelete