Are Tights making a Comeback in 2016?

Monday, September 05, 2016


                                                


If you’ve ever been through our archived posts, you may have a noticed a declining trend in fashion posts as soon as the winter months hit. As much as we’d like to consider ourselves fashionable all year round, the truth is, something about the cooler weather can be such a downer.

I’m happy to say though that things were quite different this year. Not only have 2016’s runway trends piqued my interest but they have also translated well into wearable, everyday outfits that are both warm and stylish.

People often say history repeats itself, and consequently so does fashion. One of my favourite fashion comeback this year has been the tights—a neglected item I often forcibly wore during my school years. However, if you’ve been keeping an eye on Fall/Winter 2016-2017 lines, you would have also picked up on the obvious presence of long, enviable legs strutting down the catwalk ininnumerable varieties of tights and stockings. You could spot them under the usual minis but also quite surprisingly under midi skirts and trousers. Gone are the days when this combination was boxed away as dowdy.

For someone who barely sported the tights and skirt combination, it speaks volumes that I am loving them this winter. Most commonly, I’ve paired patterned tights as a little peek-a-boo under well-cut, split skirts. And while we are on the subject of trying new things, another of my taboos has managed to find a way into my heart and wardrobe, fishnet stockings. Personally speaking, I’ve never been fond of fishnet stockings, under, over or near absolutely anything. But this season I decided to put my old feelings aside and opened up to the idea of fishnet stocking under trousers or long skirts to give the illusion of strappy heels. I’ve come such a long way in this love-hate relationship that I even choose to go with stockings on a night out as opposed to bare legs.

Done right, stockings and tights can look perfectly glamorous, elongating legs and giving you an elegant profile. While this is enough to get me on board, the question is—are you willing to give this a try?

This post was included in Links a la Mode, find the other features below:

Links à la Mode, September 8th
SPONSOR: Amazon's Shopbop Calvin Klein Underwear, Rebecca Minkoff Bags, R13 Jeans, Dear Frances, OAD, Fashion Forms, Statement Earrings, Bomber Jackets, Loafers, Men's Lemaire

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I sure hope they're making a comeback. I love tights!! And I love yours!


    Amber
    All the Cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking gorgeous gal....love the look. Rohini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crafted from soft jersey fabric, Alfani's tunic tank is a casual style essential! juniors bodycon dresses

    ReplyDelete