Minimising the Minimalist Trend

Sunday, June 05, 2016




Coco Chanel's iconic 'less is more' philosophy has gelled quite well with the current fashion bloggers and the minimalist aesthetic has been ruling the roost for the past few years. However, while I do enjoy simplicity, minimalism seems to be just about everywhere these days and so, I decided to mix things up a little. It seems I'm not the first person to think of opposing Chanel's philosophy. Iris Apfel famously said "more is more and less is bore", where Chanel recommended taking off one thing before you leave the front door, Apfel would have us pile on some more.

On this occasion, I decided to listen to the latter and load on a cape, tassels, earrings, stripes, checks and slits. The last two time we tried tassel on these pages, they were of the monochromatic variety and paired with minimal accessories. This time around though, I added bright blue tassel earrings and metal-tassel detailed shoes. This particular pair of flats from Ninewest have barely left my feet in the past few months. As for the earrings, I thought I had given up on long, dangling earrings in my early teens but their return to fashion has made be reconsider my stance.While we're on the subject of reconsidering, I haven't worn horizontal stripes in about four years, since I found out they can have a broadening effect. I decided to be daring though, and the risk paid off as this dress is very flattering (if I may say so myself), perhaps owing to the slits that break up the stripes. Due to so many elements asking for attention, I chose to maintain a dominant colour scheme throughout, but added in blue earrings to avoid looking too matching.

 What do you guys think? Is it time to steer away from the minimalist aesthetic?

Meanwhile our previous post was shortlisted amongst 19 other posts on Independent Fashion Bloggers. Check them out below!

Links à la Mode, May 26
SPONSOR: Amazon's Shopbop L*Space, KENDALL + KYLIE Dresses, Vince Shoes, Loup Charmant, Anna K, Guanabana, Striped Tops, Chambray Dresses, White Skirts, Men's McQ - Alexander McQueen

--------------------------------------------------------------

This post got featured in top 20 posts by Independent Fashion Bloggers ! Check them out below!
Links à la Mode, June 9
SPONSOR: Amazon's Shopbop Rachel Comey, MIKOH Swimwear, Temperley London Dresses, Lioness, Sydney Evan, Arik Kastan, Bridesmaid Dresses, Boyfriend Jeans, Lace Tops, Men's Etudes

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is such a cool look, very fall and I love how everything works together!

    www.minnnieroses.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is so pretty! You look lovely.
    if you pick up dresses,glamchase ben de lisi dresses reviews gives you amazing choices.
    http://www.glamchase.co.uk

    ReplyDelete