Fun to Formal: Wearing Culottes to work

Saturday, January 09, 2016




We're at the start of a new year and while I'm thankful for many things, on the sartorial front, this year brought me the blessing of culottes. Culottes were undoubtedly a highlight silhouette over the last summer and I'm certainly glad we haven't seen the last of them just yet. Having enjoyed lounging around on breezy days in my comfy and casual pair of culottes, I'm now gearing up to incorporate them into my work wardrobe. It continues to keep things lights and breezy while still keeping things formal. Not to mention, it adds a little variety to your usual pant collection. As a female engineer working in an office with a much below average female presence, I am often left wondering when a new silhouette or trend is a tad too out there for my beloved male colleagues. As lovely as they all are, they understandably do not comprehend the sartorial boundaries that us ladies love to play with. 

So if you're also in the same position as me, I've got a few tips up my sleeve in order to turn my culottes from fun to formal:

1. Opting for a more structured shape is the best place to start. A more tailored pair of culottes will make sure you don't look slouchy at your workplace.
2. Choosing colours that are suited to the work wear palette is a great idea. You can play safe with a statement neutral such as black, grey, white or push the boundaries a little and opt for work wear prints such as stripes, checks or plaid in this case.
3. Keeping you shoe design at a minimal will ensure you look well put together and chic without drawing too much attention. I chose to keep my ongoing love affair with these minimalist black mules.
4. Going for a simple v-neck or blouse would round up your look and keep it easy to put together on a busy morning.

On another note, our previous post got featured yet again on Independent Fashion Bloggers. You can check them out below!

Links à la Mode, January 7
SPONSOR: Amazon's Shopbop Acne Studios, Stuart Weitzman Boots, Jonathan Adler Home & Gifts, LIVE THE PROCESS, Sara Barner, Marie Marot, Faux Fur Coats, Lace Up Tops, Micro Bags, Men's To Boot New York
pleated poppy

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I LOVE culottes! This printed pair is perfect. You styled them so well. I have worn them a ton this year.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such pretty pants!! I love culottes... Love your blog.
    You can always visit me @ www.thepositivewindow.com

    Love,
    Epsita

    ReplyDelete